Being back in my hometown leaves me with not much to do. So I figured this would be a good time to FINALLY update my blog layout. The old layout was over a year old, and I really needed to update the overly busy layout.
I had been working on a few concepts while over the past day and a half, so coding the website didn’t seem like it would be a huge project. This was the final concept I decided to start coding from:
As you can see, the final product is quite a bit different from the concept. I just tried out a plain background while coding and thought it looked really good. Simplicity is a good thing right?
This blog layout is my first dive into the world of responsive web design, and I have to say it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That may be in part because the boilerplate I used, Skeleton, was fantastic. I don’t think I’ve ever used a reset/boilerplate as good as this one, and it made it really easy to code with. I guess that’s why I was able to finish ALL of the coding (yes, all HTML/CSS/PHP) of this in less than a day. I started it this morning, and finished by 10pm. Magic I tell you. Or maybe working at Shopify has just made me faster at these things.
As mentioned this is a responsive layout, so if you resize your browser the layout should change. It’s not the best layout in the slightest, and there are still some things I need to work on, but I wanted to get change my blog layout as soon as possible.
Overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out, especially since I coded it in one day.